WHY CAR SHARING, or CAR POOLING, MATTERS
Great as they are cars are a growing problem. There are now more than a billion cars on our global roads and that is growing. 78% of all car rides involve only one person. In the UK its 28.5 million cars with single car occupancy of 61% (average) but 81% for commuters. The problems it brings are many but a lot of this can be eased, now, by you, by car sharing. Why does it matter?
Reduce traffic congestion the average speeds in major towns is 17mph and worse during rush hour. Fewer cars at any time means less gridlock
Reduce air pollution we breath over 12,000 litres of air a day, air pollution, including from car emissions exacerbates respiratory and cardiovascular problems.
Conserve oil the world’s oil reserves are finite and soon production will decline while consumption grows. We are starting to exhaust this finite resource.
Help stop climate change the average car commuter emits 600kg carbon each year. The excess CO2 in our atmosphere is warming the earth with huge implications.
CAR SHARING or CARPOOLING
WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME?
You’ll get some immediate benefits: reduce stress (driving less often), get more done (when a passenger), get there faster (using 2+ lanes), save money (petrol and parking charges cut by 50% or more), and build community (by getting to know neighbours and co-workers).
GREAT, BUT WHERE DO I START?
- Check out and use one of the car-pooling or car-sharing website services
- Encourage your friends to think about car sharing
At work and in the Community
- Encourage your employer to promote car sharing: www.liftshare.com allows employers to have a business specific car-sharing website
- Ask your employer to provide priority parking in the most convenient slots for car sharers
- Overcome the issue of unexpected work demands by providing a “guaranteed taxi home” service: this gives confidence and costs little.
Amma Events UK
- Coming to Amma’s visit at Alexandra Palace? Share empty seats in your car (and share the cost), or look for lifts by going to www.gocarshare.com/amma.
- Attending a Satsang group near you? Contact the Satsang organiser to see who might also be coming from your direction.